Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hell no, I won´t go!

There has been a lot of talk about alternative virtual worlds lately, alternatives to "Second Life" of course.

The three alternatives I have seen discussed most frequently are "OpenSim""InWorldz" and "Blue Mars".

The comparisons made by the believers in the alternatives invariably emphasise the shortcomings of Second Life. OK I have tried all three so called "alternatives", OpenSim a while ago and the other two just recently.

Admittedly I have only tried the alternatives for a short period of time and also with a huge degree of initial scepticism, but all I can say is that at the present stage of development they are no real alternative for me.

The points often raised by the believers in the alternatives are less lag, lower prices for land and everything else and more prims. They also speak about "the great pioneering spirit".

Less lag?
In my own experience - and I am no physicist or computer wizard - lag is often associated with the amount of avatars that occupy the same sim or perhaps the "world as a whole". No wonder then that the alternative worlds may have less lag, they only have a fraction of the inhabitants of Second Life. When I was in OpenSims there were 32 in that world, in InWorldz there were 68 and in Blue Mars there were also less than 100 (but I cannot remember the exact number).

The amount of users in those other worlds are extremely low. Being there feels very lonely, boring and absolutely useless. And even with this said, it took more than 45 minutes for my avatar to rez in Inworldz the first time I visited.

I hated Blue Mars because they let me be born with a childish face and I did not like the rest of the graphics either. (Yes I have seen that my friend Eddi Haskell has succeeded in creating a beautiful avatar for himself in Blue Mars, but all I can say it seems to have taken him a very long time, and I am not half as artistic as he is.)

Lower prices?
This is simply a question of supply and demand. The supply is infinite, the demand is extremely low. Do any of you really believe that the prices will stay low if and when more people come to the worlds you are promoting?

More prims?
I have all the bloody prims I need and a shitload of prims to spare. If i had even more prims I would not use them anyway. Who wants or likes clutter (with the possible exception of hoarders).

Pioneering spirit?
Pffffft thats just another way of saying "We don´t have anything ready made for you here, build it yourself or do without!" (I remember walking around in OpenSim with black socks and two black box shapes on my feet because there were no shoes provided in the inventory I was born with and nowhere to get any.) And to be perfectly honest, I am not a pioneer at all, send me to a shop anytime!

My top five reasons for staying in Second Life - at least until further notice - are:
1. My Ars and our Southern Charm sim.
This is where Ars was and Southern Charm still is. Until they tell me I can move Southern Charm to another grid I am staying put til Linden Lab pulls the plug.

2. My family and close friends in Second Life.
Love you guys and don´t want a virtual world without you!

3. Cultural developement.
The fantastic musicians and poets, the amazing artists, the awesome landscapers, the terrific builders, creators and developers. My world would be less without them.

4. Economic developement.
You can get almost anything you want in Second Life, and if you cannot get it you can order it from one of the creative developers.

5. I believe in Philip Linden and his creative staff.
The original dreamer is back at the helm, and soon with a better look...
Overall my Second Life experience has vastly improved during my three and a half years here, and it keeps improving.

Admittedly there are still problems to be handled, but I believe the issues will be taken care of. New problems will arise in time of course, and they will be taken care of also. I want to be here and see and take part in the evolvement of my Second Life so...

Hell no, I won´t go!

P.S. Yeah, I decided to remove the "update".

8 comments :

  1. I would slightly disagree on the whole pioneering part as I like that idea but until I can copy everything I own lock stock and barrel (and yes I would be willing to compensate creators) I'm not going. I might dabble a little and try out some ideas - hell even snap up a sim if I ever have cash but thats it.

    I'm staying with you Buddy and all the rest I know (friend or foe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do not feel like starting over somewhere else again ...i tired NWG and it was hell getting the avatar looking like i wanted - tho i did upload my skin and own clothes - silly perhaps but i dont want to change, im me any world. building in nwg was no fun either stuff went missing and you couldnt log in half the time you tried. all the newer places like "NWG", "OpenSim", "InWorldz" and "Blue Mars" have a long way to go before they are as stable as SL. I WONT GO im staying in SL at least here i know what ive got:) and where to get what i need:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it not about choosing world, its about making the world bigger. U dont have to be in just one virtual world. As i said, i got new friends in the other worlds that has make my Second life bigger.

    But i know from irl that most people are afraid of changes so I´m not surprised. Of course you shall avoid other worlds if u feel unsecure. We are here to have fun and be safe, not to challenge ourselves(?) =)

    Im never alone inWorldz, but i often feel lonely in Second life nowadays....its not about the quantity of avatars.

    But i often miss u Bock. So dont hesitate to im me next time im in Second life =)

    Kramm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now i have a post in my blog about this:

    http://kranfel.blogspot.com/2010/08/me-and-inworldz-public-enemy-no-1.html

    Krammiz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have already seen that and commented on your blog and in a postscript on my own.

    I really do not understand how you could read any aggression towards you into my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been InWorldz quite a bit this summer and I must say it really demands a LOT of patience. The crashes are frequent and the lag often terrible.

    Moving around exploring is often nearly impossible, maybe it is easier if you stay put on the same area for a long time.

    The things you can buy, as clothes and hair are far from the high handicrafted-like quality you easily find in SL.

    But I admit that it interests me to see how it will grow and how the inhabitants will handle it. But I don´t really think it will be very different to SL in the future. The people behind the avas are no different to the people in SL.

    When I am there I often really long back to my spot in SL and to the great possibilities that SL offer, in spite of all critic. I don´t feel any longing at all to leave SL at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll stay with you Bock.
    SL forever <3

    Mia/Linn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made my blue mars avatar in one minute, he came ready made in a store in Beach City.

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).