Sunday, February 27, 2011

International RSI Awareness Day

This is a day set aside each year to focus attention on repetitive strain injuries (RSI). 

Held on the last day of February, it is the only "non-repetitive" day on the calendar and is officially observed on February 29th (in non-leap years, RSI Awareness Day is observed on February 28th.) 

On this day, workers, health and safety professionals, health care practitioners and others take the opportunity to help raise awareness about RSIs and the need for action aimed at prevention, rehabilitation and compensation.

RSI is an umbrella term to describe a family of painful disorders affecting tendons, muscles, nerves and joints in the neck, upper and lower back, chest, shoulders, arms and hands. These disorders can be caused by work activities that are frequent and repetitive, or activities with awkward postures. WMSDs are a serious occupational health concern across the world and are recognized as leading causes of significant human suffering, loss of productivity, and economic burdens on society. 

---
It is good for us who spend a big part of our lives connected to the computer to know our aching hands, arms, necks, shoulders and backs have a day, isn't it?

2 comments :

  1. I had really bad RSI once when I was working in the U.K.. I came into work one day with my arm in a big black bandage to make my hand immobile -- It can be VERY painful. I go into the office, and someone asks "what's wrong with your hand Eddi?". I go repetitive stress injury and the entire office starts laughing their head off and looking at each other.

    It took me AN ENTIRE DAY to realize that they thought I needed a bandage because I was wanking off with my hand too much. In England, wanking is something they think about much of the time it seems, and have several words (wanker, tosser) to describe someone who does. Most Americans are not preoccupied with such things.

    Anyway, the cause of my RSI was a bad keyboard. I got one of those ergonometric ones from Kinetics and it cleared right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eddi, that´s a great tip! All of us that are in SecondLife should use it, and a lot of those that aren't too.

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).