Thursday, October 11, 2012

Two Turtle Doves

My parents are - finally - reunited again after my fathers short stint at the local hospital.

When I saw my father yesterday he was despondent, feeling abandoned and talking about how he was going to die in the hospital bed where he had been since September 29.

"Everyone else goes home after a day or two here, but they keep me. They will never send me home! I am bored to death and I worry about mother. She doesn't like to be alone, you know, and I don't like to leave her alone either. I miss her."

The two met when my father was 15 and my mother was 16. They married in april 1950 and since then have never been much away from each other, except for their various hospital stays in recent years.

As far as I can remember my parents have always shown their love for each other in an unassuming but highly visible way, except for a short period nearly thirty years ago when I was in my early teens.

As far as I and my older sister (who was married and had moved away by then) have been able to piece together from what we remember and overheard, my father must have had a short romantic fling at the office. When my father broke it off after a few weeks the woman felt obliged to call my mother to inform her of what had been going on.

I remember my mother crying a lot and my father going around and looking like a whipped dog. At the time it felt like this went on for an eternity, but in hindsight it cannot have been for longer than two months until they found their way back to each other. At first very tentatively and carefully but soon their love flowed again and filled the whole family with joy and reassurance that everything was still well in the world.

I remembered that time when I saw them together today. Both radiating with happiness at seeing and touching each other and for being together again.

For some reason I started singing a rewritten stanza from The twelve days of Christmas to myself in the car on my way home, again and again and again... "two turtle doves and a son in a virtual reality" (Yeah, I know the words don´t fit the music well - but I did not receive the Nobel Prize in Literature this year either.)

16 comments :

  1. Such great news dearest Bockilein. I'm so happy for your mum and dad. And what a wonderful story about your parents. Just goes to show again... Amor vincit omnia!

    @Ziggy --> Keep on running... to the poling station :P (and then com back for a sandwich hug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute story and so true.Give them an extra hug both so good they are backin the same place,its hard to be away from the one u love,at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear your dad is back home and what a lovely couple they seem to be but hey they made you so they cant be bad:) hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs sweetie, yup they are proud of me too - imagine! ;)

      Delete
  4. Awww what a nice story. Some thoughts -- first, that woman who told your mother about her fling should roast in hell if she is not there already. What a nasty, horrible thing to do to someone.

    Second, why not buy your parents a romantic night out at the local restaurant and have a bottle of red wine or something waiting for them? Or have a gift basket delivered in your name or something? It sounds like something nice is in order!

    Guyke, I still want to hear about your tour of the hot Saunas in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Eddi I think Bockilein answered that for me...

      "ROFL My son is almost a virgin, he has only been to his husband Janttu´s personal gay sauna - I am sure... ;)"

      Delete
    2. I used to share your hopes for "the other woman but now, I don´t care where she ends her miserable existence.

      I have actually tried to lure them out of their den on occasion, but when they reinforce each others stubbornness they cannot be budged. I will keep trying though...

      Delete
  5. LOL Ziggy! How about an awkward sandwich? I found this when googling sandwich hug... I quote the urban dictionary...
    awkward sandwich:
    When two people are hugging and a third person comes up and hugs one of them from behind, pressing their crotch up against the person's ass, thus making an awkward sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I agree... I so didn't understand what was awkward about it. I will try and convince my dearest stepdad to engage in one with you and me on Novermber 6th :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kisses back and wonders why you ran away, do I have bad breath? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. It´s a date! To bad none of the three of us can vote in the American election, but perhaps our hugging can motivate Americans and then it would be a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh mon dieu! Il est canadien? I was convinced he was American :) And here was I trying to convince him to go vote on november 6th... /me points at his profile, guess I'm still just the silly dude from Belgium.

    That being the case I propose we do a celebratory hug on november 6th if Obama wins :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How dare you think I was a silly American ;-) hahahahaha, I am an outrageous Canadian surrounded by Igloos, Moose and Beavers ;-)
    If Obama wins however I will give free fantastic sex to all those who voted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. O.M.G. you two, get a sauna or something... ;P

    Ziggy, my dear sweet buddy, this is a decent and reputable gay blog! We do not, I repeat and emphasize not, mention beavers here ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LMAO..ok ok..then no beavers just MINK

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).