Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Over the Rainbow"


The American mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato sings "Over the Rainbow" at BBC's "Last Night of the Proms 2013".

From the WXQR Blog: "Last Night of the Proms Tinged With Themes of Equality" by Brian Wise

"DiDonato has long been identified with the song popularized by Judy Garland, but this will be the first time she has sung it in public since Russia passed anti-gay legislation earlier this year. Writing on her blog, DiDonato said:
'We programmed ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’ ages ago, but as the Russian law came into focus and I felt this impending sense of dread wash over me, I knew that I simply had to personally dedicate my performance on Saturday to all of those brave, valorous gay and lesbian souls whose voices are currently being silenced – either by family, friends, or by their government.'
Acknowledging that the Proms has strict rules against political messages, DiDonato said she will not speak from the stage, however.

"It’s not as if she’s doing it in Russia, where the problem is," noted Morrison. "The UK is a pretty tolerant place for gays and everyone else. I think she’s using the global televised audience for this event to make a point. That's fair enough."


---
I would like to thank Loan (Loo Berensohn) deeply for her kindness in bringing this performance to my attention. I have never in my life heard the song sung better and the hairs of my whole body stood in salute at the end. This is magnificent and totally incredible!

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).