Sunday, July 23, 2017

Charlie's Caviar - A Very Swedish Taste

A reporter at the New York Times once described this Swedish delicacy like this: "Made from cod roe, it is squeezed out of what looks like a bright blue toothpaste tube and should not be confused with fine Russian caviar. Swedes love it, but for the rest of us, it can be hard to swallow, unless a salty and fishy pinkish goo appeals to you."

I use it on eggs, instead of salt, To be honest I use it on every kind of bread made by man just because it's so delicious. It is true, Swedes love it - whether we are 5 or 95 years old. We only seem to share this acquired taste with Norwegians and Finns, while the rest of the world frown or gag after tasting it. 

However, you really should try it, especially with eggs. If you don't live in Sweden, Norway or Finland, you can get it at any IKEA near you, or in specialized stores.

The following videos shows you how Kalles Kaviar was received in Los Angeles, Costa Rica and lastly by Swedish tourists in New York (where they complain about only getting two servings)

4 comments :

  1. Oh I do know this. I prefer this either on Rye bread or with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first tube at IKEA on a whim and have been using it ever since, usually with a cheese plate. MMM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased to see, that there are still a few brave and strong people in the world ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).