Monday, January 30, 2012

Suddenly...

"Moon Above Wheatfield" by Gary Hamburgh
Suddenly on Sunday afternoon I was hit with the worst case of the common cold I can remember ever having.

It started with three heavy sneezes. Next thing it was as if my head exploded with the worst headache ever and I felt my sinuses filling up with snot and my chest was congested. The sound of my coughing is terrible and woke me up several times during the night.

Although I felt sicker than a wildebeest I dragged my carcass to work this morning because I had an important meeting in the morning. The rest of the day I avoided close contact with everyone and just medicated with paracetamols to keep the fever at bay and had rolls of toilet paper in every pocket so I could blow my nose every 5-10 minutes. The tip of my nose is red and raw by now, not a pretty sight.

Suddenly yesterday I also felt a tremendous insecurity overwhelming me when I was going to write a post about my new tipping practices in the Swedish venues in SecondLife. After being criticized recently for intimidating others with my "overly generous" tips I started tipping only small amounts in the tip jars and the rest of my tip directly - on the body part of my choice - to the person I was tipping. It´s a hassle and I don´t know how long I can keep it up.

On that subject I was going to tell the story about what Ars once told me when I asked him what the correct tip was. He said - of course - that there is no correct tip, you tip as much or little as you wish and can afford. Ars also stressed the fact that it is essential that the receiver should graciously acknowledge all tips whatever the size. "Even a very small amount could be all the money that person has earned after hours of camping or all they have."

I know why I got insecure and I have claimed I didn't give a damn, but somehow I did anyway. It could of course also be a sign of my weakened state brought on by this uncommon cold.

4 comments :

  1. Awwww get better Bock....rubs Vicks Vaporub on your chest....
    I have spent millions of lindens and hundreds of real life dollars on tipping in the past and now I stopped unless I have alot of extra Lindens than I no longer tip.
    I have no SL job so my L is limited. It has to stop sometime with some clubs having so many dancers plus host and DJ that you easily can blow 500 L at a 100 L a piece per party. Two party's a night and you gave out 1000 L in tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those places where they have a DJ, an owner, three hosts and five-eight dancers.

      As I would have told you if I had written the post on tipping, in those cases I only tip the DJ and the venue (if the DJ is not part of the club, if he is I only tip the venue).

      Delete
  2. I have heard you are always generous Bock, which is very good, but i understand your point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks NEO, believe me, my intention was never to make others feel bad or cheap. Lesson learned and now I just need to find a better way of doing things. ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).