Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pro-Lifers Coup in the Council of Europe

Health professionals and the hospitals can refuse to perform abortions, according to a new Council resolution.

Ironically this was the
Council of Europes resolution to a Swedish proposal designed to help women in countries with a strong anti-abortion movement to get care. The background is a Polish case where a pregnant woman with intestinal problems, died after doctors refused to perform the necessary surgery because of fear of damaging the fetus.

The vote was held in Strasbourg on Thursday afternoon, when most of the 313 delegates of the Parliamentary Assembly had gone home. 


In contrast, the Councils abortion opponents rallied round, and pushed through changes so that the final resolution had the opposite effect: "No person, hospital or institution shall be coerced, held liable or discriminated against in any way for refusing to carry out, facilitate, assist or perform an abortion" or "any act that may cause the death of a human fetus or embryo," reads a couple of formulations. 

The resolution was pushed through by 56 votes to 51.

....

I ask myself, "Is healthcare for the patients or for the healthcare professionals?"
 
Healthcare professionals who have moral qualms about performing such procedures should either be prepared to carry out their work or switch to other areas of healthcare where they can avoid any conflict with their own moral choices.


Healthcare workers have every right to have any objections, reservations or scruples, but it is they themselves who must take responsibility for this not their employers or the patients.There are lots of areas within healthcare where medical personnel do not have to face this moral dilemma.


I finally also ask myself "Where the f**k, were the other 206 well paid parliamentarians and how could they be so naive as to allow this to happen?"

SDS

11 comments :

  1. good question Bock, my first thought is, most were men and they don't feel responsible where they stick their *P* so it is not their problem.
    It is still a mans world :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly enough I think you are absolutely correct in your statement, Suteruni my friend.

    The question just isn´t important enough for most men, even if the degree of indifference may vary depending on national, cultural and/or religious background factors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut their pay if nothing else...

    ReplyDelete
  4. backlash for all women, really sad that there is ppl that think we should not be able to decide about our own body in 2010...

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* Bock, I liked you from the first time we met in SL :)

    I used to have a collegue that said : "you gotta talk the talk and walk the walk"

    That is how society seems these days...:( 'We' put those people there I'm afraid :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hugs back* Suteruni, ahhhhh yes I remember it well ;)

    I liked you too and the second, third, fourth, fifth times also etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, despite my personal views on the subject, I will go to the barricades to protect a womans right to choose an abortion. Thats a given. However, the right to refuse to perform an abortion is equally valid. You don't strengthen the rights of some by coercing the freedoms of another.
    And I object to Suterunis comment, "most were men and they don't feel responsible where they stick their *P*" and your response to it Bud. I am male, believe it or not, and I have always without exception been totally responsible as to where, how and when I, to fully expand as it were, "stick my penis". There, not such a hard word is it?
    To be slurred in this way is at the least insulting. And thats me being mild, after refraining from "first response" posting

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW buddy that was a barrage....

    As I hope you saw in the post already, I agree with you that it is a perfectly valid stand to refuse to perform an abortion. What I ask of people that hold this view is not to take up a job in a field in healtcare where their values will inevitably come in conflict with the work they are expected to perform.

    I still stick with my response to Suterunis comment buddy, and it was not a slur to you dearest buddy or to all men.

    I do believe that if the parlamentarians in the Council of Europe had been mostly women - or at least men who really gave a damn - such a coup by the pro-lifers would not have been possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sirhc, I am sorry if I offended you. What I said came from personal anger because I am a woman. Should I become pregnant without wanting to, I do not know what I would do, I doubt I will have an abortion done even if it would 'ruin' my future plans. I think it is a different situation when the woman's life is at risc though.But then of course it everyone's right not to perform the abortion if it is against their beliefs. But that doesn't make it right, to me. And yes I still stand by the fact this world is still a man's world and they set the rules.If more women would be in important positions, the world would be a better place. So you do your bit now and go to the barricades for women's rights.
    And Im used to using the words penis and cock, im just also used to PG american rules. I'm sure you did not mean to belittle me, I'm from Holland fgs LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not objecting at all to the post mate. The incipient creep of "pro-life factions" in all forms is as worrying to me as anyone and needs to have a spotlight shone on it in any way that is possible. What fired me up was the response thread. Misandry is another form of hatred and all hatred is corrosive. Pointe final.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm puzzled why you take this so personal, I don't know you and you don't know me...or?

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).