Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Recommended Reading

There is an excellent post entitled "Confirmed: Latest Second Life Drama Largely Driven by Misunderstanding, Scant Evidence (As It Usually Is)" by Wagner James Au on the blog New World Notes that everyone involved with SecondLife should take the time to read.

The post centers around the drama (non-Swedish this time) caused by Miso Susanowa and her allegations concerning a logo chosen by Linden Lab to celebrate Second Life's 8th anniversary.

Miso Susanowa claims that the logo was based on a design she originally did and was used without attribution or credit, which led to a community-wide controversy, with many calling for boycott, lawsuits, and filing DMCA notifications against the company.

I posted a comment to this post which I want to share with you here.

Excellent post, thank you!

Admittedly the Lindens make mistakes, they are only human after all, and admittedly they are not always able to respond to a problem as fast as the erratic residents of our world would wish.

Like you I believe that the overreactions among us residents more often than not lead to time and energy wasted on matters of little importance than being used to the betterment of SecondLife.

I can also wholly understand that some creative and talented people at the Lab would leave the company because of such turbulence.

We could all do better if we stopped bitching and complaining wildly all the time and instead channeled our efforts to work with and support the Lindens in improving the world we all love.

8 comments :

  1. Miso is a friend of mine and is definitely NOT bitching. Please read her own words:
    http://gomiso.blogspot.com/2011/06/addendum-magic-hat.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall (and thankfully coming into the whole thing post the Addendum being published) it was rather heartening to see the drama braking system being applied after there was some clarification. Yep it was a bork rather than deliberate pooheadiness and yes them thar L's are hooms. /me Being guilty of slamming the Lab as a rather bad kneejerker at times, seeing distinctly grownup traits surfacing was positively -erm- nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Bock, you were talking generally. I was just pointing to the fact that Miso Susanowa has a very intelligent blog that I want everyone to read, even though she is a bit wordy from time to time (ducking her swing here:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now noticed that Miso herself has given a Final Reply in this matter. Read it here:
    http://gomiso.blogspot.com/2011/06/one-last-reply.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Apmelito, I had read her final reply also before I posted, but it was good of you to link to it so my readers get her full story.

    Later today I may do a post on what I found googling for images on the words "magic" and "magician" and ask the question "When is an idea original?"

    I think the answer has to be in the execution of the idea, how it´s done and the overall look of it because as you will see the elements she mentions in her rough idea are very, very common when illustrating "magic" or "magician".

    The top hat, the wand, the stars even the color purple...and then some.

    My thought about this is still, do not resort to Linden-bashing the first thing you do, it so "InWorldz" (which I was also thinking of doing a post about)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I stand corrected by you Apmel, what I had read earlier was her "final words on this" in a comment she made on her previous post.

    Your link goes to a new post with her new "final words on this". Thanks again buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TY Bock, I appreciated your comment. I have stated in enough places how sorry I am to have posted childishly. I think I've also answered your question about "execution" there.

    Thank you for linking to the last posts. I will not litter your blog with repeating what I said there. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comment, Miso.

    You must have posted your comment while I was posting the later posts, so sorry if I am rubbing it in too thick.

    Shit happens, I was only using your post as an example of what goes on in our lovely SecondLife all too often, indeed I have been a party to it myself at one time.

    In my mind we residents start bashing the Lindens and the Lab too often, too soon and too much. Sometimes for problems they are not even been made aware of yet.

    I also firmly believe that much more can be achieved to improve SecondLife if the talented residents of SecondLife - of which I am sure you are one - work together with the Lindens and the Lab than if we keep on fighting each other every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).