Friday, October 7, 2011

The Nobel Peace Prize 2011

The Norwegian Parliaments Nobel committee today announced that the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize had been awarded to the Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (center), the Liberian civil rights champion Leymah Gbowee (right) and the Yemeni Tawakkul Karman (left) for their work for peace in Africa and the Arab world.

After the initial shock, that their laird had once again been overlooked, the announcement was followed by cries of jubilation and joy on the Southern Charm sim for the acknowledgement of the three women´s great, tireless and successful efforts for peace and democracy in their communities, countries or regions.

3 comments :

  1. yes im sorry my dear laid but the prize once again went to some people we never expected it to go to(im sorry but i have never heard of any of these women or their work)... -- i have for the past coupla years come to understand that the prize as such is not important at all anylonger or the peace aspect of it... just as long as it it presented to someonee each year no matter the peace keeping aspect of it all womens rights freedom or whatever - why did obama get it really??? not going into any of that----- i just go oh ok theres ppl get it this year and dont really think much more of it...sadly.... think the prize itself had stopped being what it was intended for in the beginning... but thats just me thinking... and when i start thinking my in goes in strange paths so do not qote me in any of this ramblings:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That prize lost all credibilty when Kissinger got it. It´s a pity for those fantastic women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with you both, the Nobel committees, the Swedish ones and the Norwegian, have made really poor and politicized choices sometimes.

    You both name two examples, and I do agree with you on those, but still I forgive and forget and keep my hopes up and hope they will learn by their mistakes.

    Although I only knew off one of the women (Ellen Johnson Sirleaf) who were awarded this year, I am impressed by their credentials when I read about them.

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).