Saturday, July 12, 2014

Manhattanhenge

I hadn't even thought about the phenomenon of "Manhattanhenge", until I read my friend and mentor Eddi Haskell's post on his blog today, saw the amazing pictures and the explanatory video where Neil deGrasse Tyson, who coined the word, informs us about it.
© 2012 Steve Kelley
Watch and get educated by reading Eddi & Ryce's Second Life;
Manhattanhenge Occurs at Sunset in New York City.

This spectacular occurrence happens twice a year (May 28th and July 11th) during which the setting sun aligns with the east–west streets of the main street grid of Manhattan.

I also particularly loved the way Neil, to explain how this phenomenon might be explained in the  future, effortlessly applied the present day archeologists work method of coming up with highly imaginative (mostly religious or cult related) explanations to why our forefathers had created something or other in bygone days.

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).