Friday, November 12, 2010

SecondLife Invaded by Lucia-pageants

In real life we have about 200 000 (possibly more) Lucia-pageants in Sweden going about every year on December 13th.

They are scaring everyone shitless with the careless way some of them handle their candles or annoying us all by waking us up at an ungodly time in the morning.

In SecondLife there has been a Swedish Lucia-pageant for four years, the last few years at the Swedish Embassy in SecondLife.

Last year Second Norway started their own pageant, which I assume they will be continuing. This year we have also been reached by the news that a group of Swedes on the Tara Hill sim will be having their own pageant.

On Wednesday I attended a meeting to decide whether or not there was going to be a traditional Lucia-pageant on the Swedish Embassy sims this year. It had been suggested it should perhaps be cancelled because the Tara Hill group might see it as a provocation, as they had already in October declared that they were going to have a pageant of their own.

I had been thinking everything through very carefully and had reached the conclusion that we should continue the tradition of the Swedish Embassy pageant for the following reasons.

1. As I have already said above in real life we have loads of pageants. No one ever sees it as competition or provocation if anyone else continues having their own traditional pageant or starts a new one, neither would or could any reasonable person in SecondLife object to that.

2. The Swedish Embassy´s Lucia-pageant is by now a longstanding (SecondLife is not that old after all) tradition, both among Swedes and most importantly among our International friends and guests.

3. The more, the merrier! This is a great way of spreading the word about a beautiful and quaint Swedish and Scandinavian tradition.

Well I am happy to tell you it took the meeting two minutes flat to agree with me! So you will now be able to see me this year also in the starring role of a "star boy" pushing Saint Lucia and the rest of the guys and girls in white gowns infront of me.

Remember to book the date and times in your calendars now, Sunday December 12th, 2010, 11 am and/or 1 pm SLT.

More information about this event will be posted as we get closer to the occasion.

9 comments :

  1. excuse me but correction is in order: lucia is at 11am slt and 1 pm slt on the 12th of december.
    20.00 and 22.00 swedish time
    pöss

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I thought 11 am and 1 pm, and somehow ended up writing the wrong time anyway grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    Thanks for telling me, Vampi, I corrected immediately I saw your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww thanks Ziga, you are always too good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder why?

    :-D

    /Tina (PG) Hon med Universumet ni vet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Tina, it´s clear as hell to me.

    Ziga loves Emarald first and then she loves me, and I love her for it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL thanks for the support Ziga - always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I got the note from my friend Diana.

    Hi Bock,

    Just wanted to drop you a quick note and tell you WTG!!!!
    I am so happy the Swedish Embassy is going to host the event. It's a major cultural event and needs to be promoted by the legitimate government. The festival is not just for the Swedes in SL, but for all those who want to learn about Swedish culture. It would be a shame if the Embassy didn't host it.

    As a Swedish-American, I say BRAVO!!! Thanks to the rest of the Swedes in SL group, too :) Feel free to share this with them. FYI, my SL/RL partner, Hunter, has wanted to learn about Swedish culture and tradition for a very long time. This will give him his first opportunity to experience it. I can't thank you enough :) We'll be there to see it on Dec. 12th, probably about 1 pm SLT as we will be skiing in RL most of the morning :)

    Take care, Diana Gilderoy


    Thanks Di, looking forward to see you and Hunter at the Lucia-pageant already - and at many of Elfays sets before that!

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).