Wednesday, April 27, 2011

On Circumcision

Today two of my favorite non-SecondLife blogs choose to raise the subject of male circumcision.

copyranter does so by showing a new Filipino commercial about a boys journey into "manhood" (boring add) but on a back link to an earlier post I found this truly inspired commercial for a man owning a circumcision clinic.

Joe.My.God. also touches on the same subject with a post about a San Francisco anti-circumcision group that has collected enough petition signatures to place a city-wide ban on the practice on the November ballot. The commenter's have gone wild on the subject of the pro´s and con´s of circumcision. There are more than 185 comments now.

My own position on the issue is that mass-circumcision of infant boys is genital mutilation and child abuse. Admittedly there are a few cases when it is warranted by medical reasons, but otherwise I cannot see any valid arguments for this procedure being performed on infants.

In my mind this surgery should only be performed with informed consent on adult men. I for one would hate to have my foreskin removed, just saying.

(And yes, I totally agree that female circumcision is much more invasive and a more important issue to fight against, as it leads to more problems for the women later in life and also deprives them of the possibility to fully enjoy sex.)

1 comment :

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).