Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Am Leaving Facebook

As some of you may have seen in a comment on this blog my beloved brother in-law Andrey Messmer has been kicked out of Facebook.

This fact and all the other rather disturbing facts that have been unearthed considering company controlled social networks like Facebook and Google+ have forced me to come to the following conclusions,
1. I will delete my account on Facebook at the latest on August 1st, 2011. (I understand that it may or may not take longer for my profile to disappear there, but thats Facebook´s problem.)
2. I will never create an account on Google+ or any other of those similar social networks.

I no longer wish to be part of any "network" where I, my family and my friends are not welcome!

Bock McMillan is as much I as the person with the name I was given at baptism. In fact there is only one single Bock McMillan while there are a multitude of men in Sweden who carry my real life name. (...and playing around on the web I actually just found another man with my exact full name - two first names and a surname - but 4 years older than me living in Minnesota, U.S.A.)

Bock may in someway be even more me than my real life self, because being Bock I can do and say things that I only think about doing or saying in real life. Through Bock the parts of my personality that are otherwise censored or subdued  due to "other considerations" are allowed to show themselves.

UPDATE. The deed is done! My account will stay deactivated for a period of two weeks before it is permanently deleted, the message from FB said.

16 comments :

  1. It is very sat to see any SL-ers have their accounts pulled, and Beelly Blanco's was deleted too. I gave him the site address http://www.2ndhub.com/ which claims to be "an amazing place for discovering, connecting, sharing & promoting your Second Life© world experience with your friends, associates and customers." It is not as sohphistictaed as Facebook or Google +, but it is safe. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Simon, I will ofcourse look into the option you are presenting - but I am so pissed with this at the moment so I cannot say what I decide.

    Anyway we will always have SecondLife ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed my profile pic to my real life pic to maybe fool them into thinking its a rl account only because I need Facebook to play the games on there when I have long night shifts at work with nothing to do. Otherwise FB can go Fug themselves.
    I am also going to sign up to that 2ndhub site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever trick, Ziggy! ;)

    If you and Simon are going to 2ndhub I will really have to look into it! Hmmmmm wonder if they have the *POKE*...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay go bock best idea today:) more and more ppl are leaving FB:) im one of the sane ones who never got on there in the first place hihi
    pöss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, FaceBork and GoogleMinus are, after all, only gathering data to, I believe the rather ugly term is, 'monetise' us. Oh yes and our 'friends' too haha:) Wish I had thought of that scam...damn I should be more evil. Funny really - wonder how many actually have more disposable readies at their erm disposal as 'Avs' as opposed to 'Reals'...
    And if as rumour has it SL is moving to web only profiles to link in to this social network flavour of the month (was mentioned in a recent phoenix hour)..heres one furry butt they can kiss.
    Oh yeah all Tribe already are on that FB crapola just to be a teeny burden on their servers - and we are legion...
    kram :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too shall check 2ndhub ,hate to see you leave Bock but understand why.......hugs......Jared

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs Jared, perhaps we meet again at 2ndhub ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never used that Disgracebook, WhySpace and twatter crap. Just my opinion of I just do not like em. I have yet to find a use for them that a cell phone and email can't handle lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BIL !!! I just heard of that 2nd Hub thing (Beelly had his FB page deleted as well and moved to it). Looks like a 'safe' place for SL av profiles, even Lindens front page advertising Facebook ... seems like a lost case staying on FB. I got my RL profile there as well but I don't feel like linking SL to it, too much information for my folks I guess LOL! We need to talk soon, missing your face! LOVE U!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missing you too, BIL, hope to see you soon!

    Well Insyx, it seemed like a good idea when I joined a few months ago but soon after that the rumors started going that FB was deleting avatar profiles and this week I lost two family members through their "purging", both Andrey and Beelly. It was just a question of time before they got to me, and rather than being killed off by them I wanted to do it myself.

    So late last night - after some of my usual procrastination - I thought "What the f**k, just do it" and so I went ahead and deleted my profile and my "fan page" (the thing SL is recommending) too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am now also on 2ndHub but no idea yet how to search for and add friends. Watch for me xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY I joined today also, haven´t found the *poke* button yet though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ==========D *POKES*

    satisfied now BIL?
    :D

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).