Saturday, July 9, 2011

On Rebranding of SecondLife

On her blog "Dwell On It" Tateru Nino last week raised the question of a possible rebranding of SecondLife in 2011, in the post "Second Life rebranding in 2011?"

This was my reaction to that idea:

Why the hell mend something that is not broken? I do not share Tateru´s notion that SecondLife sounds "creepy" or is a "lousy brand name".

I would ask the marketing department at Linden Lab to carefully reconsider any changes of the brand name, other than the one I mention in my comment. There are lots of other things that the marketing people can focus their meddlesome energy at to attract new users.

For one thing they could reintroduce the wonderful and thought-evoking slogan “Your World – Your Imagination”.

Another thing they could work with is that awful pseudo-religious logo, I never liked or understood that ugly hand and eye thing.

A third thing is should the vampire-role playing be given such a prominent exposure, why not instead  focus on the community building efforts of all kinds that are going on in-world?

2 comments :

  1. To rebrand is to trow away 8 years of marketing effort.
    Better marketing inside and outside SL is preferable.
    -Get rid of all "mama, daddy and child"-yunk in ads!
    Show people that SL is a place to meet on equal grounds and have fun.

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).