Friday, August 5, 2011

Today´s After-Work Nap

"Sleeping Man", drawing by Michael King

As has become my - bad - habit, the first thing I do when I come home from work is to get completely undressed and go to bed for a nap. I am fully functioning, alert and focused when I am at work, but when I come home I just drop.

I discussed this "problem" with my doctor last time I saw him and his response was brief and to the point, "Well, if you need to sleep, sleep!". I think that´s one of the main reasons I like this doctor, he is straightforward and astute. So sleep after work is what I do, especially on Fridays. Usually 30 minutes to an hour is sufficient. I wake up refreshed and ready to tackle my first and second life again.

Today I was really very tired when I got home at around 5 PM, but it was warm and the humidity was high. Even after opening all the windows of my apartment and the balcony door, I still couldn't fall asleep. I got out of bed to drink, smoke, pee, rearrange the sheets and pillows in mu bed, smoke again, drink again and pee again.

Finally I brought out the ultimate weapon, my fan! I wished I had thought about it earlier but I guess I was too tired. The cooler flow of air on my body was enough, I fell at sleep around 6 PM and slept until 10 PM.

The dream this afternoon was one of those "searching dreams". I was helping my boss with a speech she was going to give. We had tossed ideas and phrases and as usual worked well together, getting the whole thing done well in advance. I had jotted down notes in a black notebook and only had to do out the final draft, so we took a break and went for lunch.

Horror of all horrors, when I got back the notebook was gone. It had completely disappeared. I searched my office, I searched her office, running around like in one of those slapstick movies in one door and out and through another door,  faster and faster until I met myself several times and getting more and more frantic by the minute as the time for the speech was coming closer.

I woke up without having found it.

---
The art in  this post is a drawing by Michael King, you can see more of his work at Michael King Paintings.

5 comments :

  1. WOW nice to know someone who likes a nap to refresh. Always in the nude of course. I also dream a lot and in fact most of the time. The dreams are so true to life and I sometime wake feeling that the dream really happened. So maybe I am not crazy after all. Have a good one and hopefully many pleasant dreams. A fan blowing over one body is truly rewarding. Like the night air doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. today was horrible before the rain came..we walked down to the city and i was melting away even with the wind blowing. was supposed to take a nap when we came back but it never came to that:( hope yours was better than mine would have been hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, Carl you aren't crazy at all.

    Hihi Vampi dear, the nap was great but I think I slept to long because I am not waking up properly, so I am off to bed again now. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gives you a shoulder rub to help you relax...

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).