Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pneumonia

I hate this awful sneaky disease thoroughly.

It sneaks up on people as a common cold and then when they least expect it slowly, slowly and step by step it makes them weaker by taking away their appetite and making them ever so tired.

Mostly no clear signs appear until the afflicted have it full blown inside their lungs. Then the fevers come, followed by the pains and the shallow breathing and an overwhelming fatigue.

My mother is 80 years old, but is still a strong willed lady with an extremely  clear mind. She will beat this. She has to, I refuse to lose another loved one to this killer!

Thank you science for antibiotics and painkillers and medical doctors who at least catch it in it´s later form.

When I left her this evening she was sitting up in her bed to have dinner. Her color had changed from that awful pale to a glow on her cheeks and she was more alert and awake although still very tired. I will keep my hopes up, mother is strong. Mother is strong willed.

UPDATE 9/26
My mother was today moved from the emergency care unit to a regular ward. She is of course still on intravenous antibiotics and oxygen and is very tired but has gotten some of her fighting spirit back.

After the move to the new ward my mother shares a room with a Bosnian woman who hardly speaks any Swedish, and my mothers Bosnian is absolutely non-existent. The woman is very friendly and chats away the whole time in Bosnian with some Swedish words thrown in. I had great difficulty in understanding anything she said but we nodded and smiled at one and other.

My mother whispered to me that she didn't understand why the woman continued talking to her when it must be obvious that she cannot understand her at all. She then silently confided to me that she actually turns her hearing aid off to get some peace and quiet.

The doctors say they are hopeful that this will go well, but I have heard that before and am not relying on it until she is back home with my father again.

8 comments :

  1. Pneumonia health care can cure with antibiotics. In contrast to cold.
    Glowing cheeks is a realy good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keeping the hopes up with you buddy hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossing my fingers for your mum dearest Bock.

    Huggles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that dear! She will be better I do hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share the hope of everybody for your mothers wellbeing and I share your hate for the disease Bock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vanadis, yes antibiotics usually help, but not always I am afraid.

    Thanks all of you and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love a spunky Swedish woman! I have complete confidence in her abiiity to beat that nasty pneumonia. I am unplugging my earbuds on my pc in solidarity with your Mum! Best wishes, Bock :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I am sure she would appreciate that gesture - if I told her about it, thanks Diana! ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).