Wednesday, August 19, 2015

...When Buds Are Breaking.

The last two weeks have been sort of horrible. It is as if I have something stewing and brewing within that I don't know where it came from, where it's leading or how to handle. The situation made me think of the Swedish author and poet Karin Boye's (October 26, 1900 - April 24, 1941) little masterpiece "Ja visst gör det det ont".

Add to that a tooth that has been acting up from time to time during the same period, and since Sunday all the time. Yesterday the whole left side of my face was aching from the eye down to the underside of my chin.

These psychological/emotional and physical pains have consumed most of my energy and rendered me speechless and disinterested in blogging for a while.

Today I had the tooth extracted, so at least that pain will no longer be an issue.

Yes, of course it hurts 
by Karin Boye 
Interpreted to English by David McDuff in "Karin Boye: Complete Poems"

Yes, of course it hurts when buds are breaking.
Why else would the springtime falter?
Why would all our ardent longing
bind itself in frozen, bitter pallor?
After all, the bud was covered all the winter.
What new thing is it that bursts and wears?
Yes, of course it hurts when buds are breaking,
hurts for that which grows
                      and that which bars.

Yes, it is hard when drops are falling.
Trembling with fear, and heavy hanging,
cleaving to the twig, and swelling, sliding -
weight draws them down, though they go on clinging.
Hard to be uncertain, afraid and divided,
hard to feel the depths attract and call,
yet sit fast and merely tremble -
hard to want to stay
                      and want to fall.

Then, when things are worst and nothing helps
the tree's buds break as in rejoicing,
then, when no fear holds back any longer,
down in glitter go the twig's drops plunging,
forget that they were frightened by the new,
forget their fear before the flight unfurled -
feel for a second their greatest safety,
rest in that trust
                      that creates the world.

3 comments :

  1. The tooth is the first step to feeling better.
    Hopefully friends can lift you up and help with the emotional pain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please take care of yourself, my dear friend. I have missed seeing your blog postings. Sending you positive energy for a lot of rest and a speedy recovery. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I am fortunate to have a loving husband and good friends which is a great relief.

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).