Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Go Green?

Surfing the web you sometimes come across innovative ideas. All I could think when I read this was what a pity it was that the other company had already taken the best name for it, "Go Green".
-----

Promession is an ecologically-conscious method for disposing of human remains by freeze drying. It was invented and patented in 1999 by the Swedish biologist Susanne Wiigh-Mäsak.

The method is based on three steps:

1. Reducing the body of the deceased to a fine powder, thereby allowing subsequent decomposition to be aerobic. This is achieved by submerging the body in liquid nitrogen, making the remains so brittle that they shatter into a powder as the result of slight vibrations. The powder is then dried, reducing the deceased remains to around 30% of their original body weight.

2. Removing and recycling metals within the powdered remains.

3. Shallow-burying the powder in a biodegradable casket.

Go to The Promessa Organics burial website (click the logo to go there for further info):

5 comments :

  1. What should the poor worms live of in the future?
    This method disturbs the natural cycle instead.
    -Chin up, you seem unusually spirited for your age! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanne Wiigh-MäsakWed Jan 05, 02:47:00 AM PST

    Thank you for pushing for promession. Visiting the website above you find the Promessa UK partner of Promessa Organic. We also have one Swedish and international website called www.Promessa.se Please visit that as well and also visit Promessa Organic on Facebook if you want new updates on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwwwwwwwww Vanadis, my 50 worms will have better sense than to eat me! They will shit and burrow around in my 24 kilos of Bock-dust, together we will create a huge and beautiful oak tree!

    Hi Susanne, well I loved your idea, but please feel free to send my 1 million L$ commission to
    The Much Honored Bock McMillan
    Laird of Southern Charm
    SecondLife
    c/o Linden Lab
    945 Battery Street
    San Francisco, CA 94111
    United States of America

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a reformed gardener, I am all for composting :) Either that or my preferred methods : hiding and dying in a remote ditch somewhere (see composting) or fed to my cats. Well, any cats really:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha buddy I wouldn´t at all mind becoming compost for my huge oak tree, but cat food...? Hell no!

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).