Thursday, August 18, 2011

On Moderation of Comments

Photo by Nam in Geum
I always like to tell people "I am the most patient man in SecondLife, absolutely everyone tells me so!" Those who know me well and love me - like my Ars, Guyke, Andrey and perhaps Millimina also - laugh in my face when I say this because they of course know damn well it is as far from the truth as you can get.

All the same I still persevere in telling all and sundry this as soon as I can possibly squeeze it into a conversation, in the vain hopes that someone who has known me longer than 15 minutes will one day agree.

The last week I myself  feel I have shown an amazing restraint that would rightfully make me entitled to truthfully keep on stating that I am in fact am the the most patient man. Alas no one seems to have noticed...

The Swedish SecondLife bloggers have been... hmmm... "discussing" the question of whether they - and everyone else - should use pre-moderation or post-moderation/reactive moderation on the comments made on a blog. There are of course valid reasons for each approach. I found an excellent summary here "Everything in Moderation - On Four Types of Moderation".

On my blog I have lately chosen to switch to post-moderation/reactive moderation primarily because I have had no experience with any misuse by commenters and I believe that a free flow of opinions between the commenters is of vital importance.

It is my personal opinion that it must be the choice of each blogger which type of moderation they choose. This choice must of course always take into account the experiences the blogger has had earlier, for instance it is well known that the Swedish blogger PetGirl Bergman with her blog Tinas universum has is the not-to-distant past had problems with defamatory personal attacks on herself and on others by anonymous or signed commenters.

Photo by Natalia Luzuriaga
The Swedish bloggers war was raised another notch when my bosom-buddy Apmel Goosson, the enfant terrible of Swedish SecondLife with the oldest Swedish SecondLife blog "Min avatar heter Apmel" (My Avatars Name is Apmel) the other day stated that he would link differently to blogs that used pre-moderation.

This decision by Apmel caused one blogger to stop blogging altogether and another blogger to express hurt feelings on being negatively discriminated against by not receiving the same exposure as post-moderated blogs.

It is my firm belief that every blogger has the prerogative to choose not only which blogs he wants to link to or not to link to, but also how he wishes to link to them as long as it isn´t done in a derogatory or defamatory way. There is no human rights issue involved in this, nor is it an infringement on anyones freedom of speech or expression.

I have actually kept myself a bit distant from these discussions where I have many opinions, in a way that is totally unlike me in these situations, so thats why I believe I now deserve at least a plaque or  medal telling the world that I am indeed the most patient man in SecondLife.

(The pictures on this post were chosen solely for their beauty and calmness so as to sooth any hurt feelings of my readers.)

5 comments :

  1. Next to being called a woman Bock, I think being called enfant terrible by "the most patient man in SecondLife" is the best compliment Apmel could get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my professional opinion your not a calm person as you use to. what conclusion I come to by reading your blog and comments over time. Especially one blogger has irritated you more than others. It may in some situations be natural to take out all frustrations on this person.
    Since the laws are unclear about blogs and comments, at least for ordinary people, I support Vanadis decision to follow the rules the Swedish Parliament has for blogs and blog comments. http://utveckling.riksdagen.se/regler-for-bloggkommentarer/
    You refer to PG's, and I add Carla´s difficulties with unwanted spam, threats and serious anonymous attacks, I can attest that Vanadis had similar problems sometimes but on a smaller scale. There is no need to put up with sutch to satisfy Apmel, you or someone else.
    I suggest that we turn to the supreme judge in matters of freedom of speech, the justitiekanslerämbetet, and ask for guidance, preferably in a joint letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Apmel, both were intended as compliments and I am glad you understood that! ;)

    Thanks so much for that professional psychological analysis of my state of mind, Sjöfn. Where should I send the check?

    I mentioned Tinas universum as an example, that does not mean that I do not believe that others haven´t been affected. I am sorry that you did not grasp that from my post.

    I did not ask anyone top put up with anything to satisfy me, I cannot understand how you arrived at that conclusion by reading my post.

    I clearly state that in my opinion every blogger should be allowed to make up their own mind as to which which kind of modeeration they prefer.

    Finally Sjöfn, I have little or no interest to join you and Vanadis in asking the opinion of the Swedish Supreme Court or the Swedish Attorney General in this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s on the house, I invited earlier to conversation for anyone who felt affected by the events in Oslo directly or indirectly. Many people were sufficiently concerned in seeing the news on TV. Nothing unusual about that, old memories welling up again. That is how the brain works to help us process a bit at a time.
    We are capable enough to ask the Swedish Supreme Court or the Swedish Attorney General ourselve. Many would probably not have the facts on the table on this issue but we want to.
    Now I close this debate for me, I allow nothing or no one to influence my Holy Friday in a negative direction.
    TFIF

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion everyone thats own a blogg should decide the way they want to "moderate" that´s my simple opinion, it will always be people against and people that agree...that´s human nature ! Cheers...

    ReplyDelete

If you are overtly offensive or go way off topic your comment may be deleted.

If you see an offensive or spammy comment you believe should be deleted, please inform me and I'll be forever grateful and give you my first born (although, you'll probably not want that).